Style: Drum & Bass
Real Name: Sam Reed
From: Auckland, Aotearoa
Listen / Buy
- Sam Reed aka Tokyo Prose has built an enviable foundation to a promising future in music. Initially as a duo, Tokyo Prose were discovered very early in their careers by DJ Presha and signed to Samurai Music as core artists in a long-term development deal.
- The Tokyo Prose sound, whilst covering a lot of ground, always seeks to maintain a soulful, deep and polished aesthetic with a firm focus on musicality and groove. Tokyo Prose tunes have found themselves into the crates of artists like Calibre, dBridge, DJ Marky, Presha, Lenzman, SpectraSoul, Logistics, London Elektricity, ASC and many more.
- The 2011 release of the highly anticipated ‘Introducing Tokyo Prose’ EP on Samurai Red Seal firmly announced their arrival and was championed by many of the scenes most creative forces. This release went on to occupy #1 and #2 in the Chemical Records charts for 2011 and EP also spawned a very successful remix 12” featuring Synkro & Consequence.
- Sam Reed now carries on the sound alone and recent collaborations with Soul:R’s Phil Tangent and NZ’s Fis showcase the versatility of the Tokyo Prose sound. Tokyo Prose in collaboration with Fis have recently been given the honour of opening the latest incarnation of Samurai Music, the Horo series. A brand new series to showcase a unique angle of dnb as seen by label boss DJ Presha.
- Tokyo Prose DJ sets collect together the latest of Sam’s productions, alongside the freshest from the soulful side of Drum and Bass fused with timeless classics that have shaped the way Sam produces his music. 2012 sees the first Tokyo Prose tour of UK and Europe.
- It’s clear to see the future is a bright one for Tokyo Prose in which ever direction the tunes take him.