Style: Rocksteady, Soul, Funk, Dub, Big Band
Members: Features members of Hikoikoi, IRoots, Sam Manzanza Afrobeat Band, The Good Words, The Nudge, Jintero MC live band, Fly My Pretties, Roy G and the Bivinators, Safari, Zirigidum, Fraser Ross & the Felt Tips, and The Resole Project.
From: Newtown, Wellington, Aotearoa
Listen / Buy
Loop Recordings: http://www.loop.co.nz/artists/newtown-rocksteady
SoundCloud: c/- Loop Recordings http://soundcloud.com/loopcrew
- Newtown Rocksteady is a dance band that simply makes you move. Cool covers, righteous melodies, and hot original songs, rocksteady is more than a band, its a moment in life.
- They can also be described as a Jamaican Rocksteady / Soul / Funk / Dub Big Band and feature members of Hikoikoi, IRoots, Sam Manzanza Afrobeat band, The Good Words, The Nudge, Jintero MC live band, Fly my Pretties, Roy G and the Bivinators, Safari, Zirigidum, Fraser Ross & the Felt Tips, and The Resole Project.
- “Representing one of the foundation flavours of Jamaican music, Newtown Rocksteady are a strong force in Wellington’s live music scene. Among the many reggae bands here in Aotearoa, their music stands apart and reaches back to a sound further and deeper than most bands have explored here before. Already one EP deep of original tunes, and with sell-out crowds always calling for more, Newtown Rocksteady are amongst the hardest working and most in-demand live acts in the capital. With a repertoire focused around some of the pioneering legends of Jamaican Ska, Rocksteady and Reggae, the 12 piece band are not to be missed when they come by a town near you. Expect infectious grooves, impeccable musicianship, and good vibes.
– ‘DJ Art Official’ from ‘Newtown Sound’ www.niceup.org.nz“
- “Possibly one of the greatest dance bands to have played the Mussel Inn in the past eighteen years. These guys are rock steady in every sense of those two words.
– Andrew, Mussel Inn – Takaka”